Jambalaya is one of the ultimate comfort foods. With the temperatures dropping, treat yourself to a bowl of this healthy and heavenly vegan friendly jambalaya. Meat lover? Throw in some sausages and let your slow cooker do all the work. The best part about this recipe its ability to be customized to your liking. Experiment and let us know what you think!
Vegan Approved Slow Cooker Jambalaya
INGREDIENTS (serves 6)
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium organic green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 large organic celery stalks, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (or 2 Tbsp of minced garlic)
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) organic tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 can (16 oz) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 oz) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegan chorizo sausage, cooked, sliced (optional)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced on angle
- 1 gluten-free baguette, sliced (optional)
In a Dutch oven (or large cast iron pan), lightly toast Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and fennel until you smell their aroma. Remove seasonings from heat and reserve on a small plate until later.
In the same cooking vessel, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the green pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer.
Add seasonings, cooked vegetable mixture, broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce to slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
Add rice and quinoa and cook on low for 1 to 1.5 hours, or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
Stir in beans and sausage (optional).
Cook 5-6 minutes per side, or until golden brown with crisp edges.
Spoon into bowl and garnish with sliced green onion and slice of gluten-free baguette (optional).