Make your mornings easier and breakfast quicker with this meal prep breakfast burrito. This go-to breakfast meal is an excellent source of protein, fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron and more. The extra egg whites will provide you with more energy without the extra calories. Store some of these bad boys in the freezer and reheat for 1 minute in the microwave for grab and go mornings!
Meal Prep Breakfast Burrito
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 burritos)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 small red onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup drained, rinsed canned black beans, preferably low-sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs and 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounce) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas (burrito size)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 large tomato, (4 ounces) seeded and diced
- 1 small avocado (4 ounces), cubed
- Hot sauce
Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until onions are softened and peppers are slightly charred, about 8 minutes.
Add black beans and red pepper flakes and cook until warmed through, another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a dish.
Whisk together the eggs and egg whites then stir in the cheese.
Spray the skillet with cooking spray, and reheat the skillet over a medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add eggs, scrambling until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon each sour cream and salsa, then layer with 1/4 of the black bean mixture, 1/4 of the scrambled eggs, some diced tomato and 1/4 of the avocado. Season, to taste, with hot sauce. Roll up burrito-style and serve.