These Sloppy Joes may be hearty but they are far from the traditional yucks that the cafeteria serves during lunch. This fresh take on a beloved childhood dish will bring you back in time but keep you from feeling crappy afterwards. These will make for a good lunch or dinner time meal. Plus, they are absolutely kid approved!
Hearty Sloppy Joes
INGREDIENTS (8 servings)
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 can small red beans or pinto beans, preferably low sodium drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 whole-wheat burger buns
Brown the meat and the onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks.
Pour the drippings out of the pan and discard. Add the garlic, jalapeno, and red pepper and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes more.
Place a half-cup scoop of the mixture onto each bun and serve.